Bill SedlacekFormer President BF Goodrich
LinkedIn: Connect with me
Office Location: Hudson, OH
Growth oriented leader with an excellent track record of growing global revenue and profitability. Clear strategic thinker, who quickly grasps complex concepts, analyzes and interprets to develop and implement effective strategies. A results-driven general manager with a proactive style for building and motivating high performing teams for global growth through innovation, strategic relationships and acquisitions while improving profitability through increased productivity, process improvement and disciplined integrations. Experienced in publicly and privately held companies in the chemical and aluminum industries.
ALERIS INTERNATIONAL INC., Cleveland, OH
Aleris is a $6.5 billion global leader in aluminum rolled products and extrusions, aluminum recycling and specification alloy production. The company operates over 40 production facilities in North America, Europe, South America and Asia and employs 8,400 employees.
Vice President and General Manager, Industrial Products (2008 to Present)
Leader with full P&L responsibility for a $650 million business unit producing bare and coated aluminum sheet for the automotive, transportation and industrial markets. Charged with increasing and strengthening the market position and overall business unit profitability.
- Increased market share 12% using a range of targeted initiatives and services designed to broaden customer and distributor penetration while improving margins 3% points.
- Reduced cash conversion costs 25% through restructuring and implementing Lean manufacturing.
Vice President, Global Human Resources (2007 to 2008)
Recruited by CEO to first transform the global HR function into a strategic business partner and second to spearhead assimilation activities after multiple acquisitions. Established foundation for global HR function and integrated disparate organizations capturing synergies. Responsibilities included talent management, development and sourcing, performance management, compensation and benefits and industrial relations.
Transformation of Global HR Function to Strategic Partner:
- Established several global HR initiatives including performance management, multi-culture unification, and talent management.
- Reduced benefit costs up to 30%. Approached benefits as a total cost of ownership through long term strategy, plan design, and effective employee communication plans.
- Completed five labor contract negotiations (USW, Glass Moulders, Boilermakers).
- Implemented broad restructurings / plant closures across the company capturing acquisition synergies and reducing costs 15%.
- Led HR due diligence for two acquisitions and one divestiture.
Noveon Inc. / BFGoodrich, Cleveland, OH
Noveon was a $1.7 billion global producer of specialty chemicals which until 2001 operated as a division of BFGoodrich. BFGoodrich sold the business in February 2001 to a private equity partnership (AEA Investors / CSFB / DB Capital).
Senior Vice President and General Manager, Noveon (2001 to 2005)
Company Officer and leader of a global $350 million personal care and pharmaceutical ingredients business unit in a private equity owned company. Key responsibilities included development and implementation of global growth strategies and global infrastructure development including 8 global manufacturing plants and 6 global R&D / technical service laboratories.
- Delivered 15+% organic compound annual top and bottom line growth through global geographic expansion, new product development, and new market development.
- Completed and integrated 2 acquisitions (US and Mexico) and formed a majority owned JV in Thailand.
- Led the global commercial, technical, and operational integration of Noveon and Lubrizol person care businesses.
- Led the construction of a plant in India and 2 major capital expansions totaling $32 million.
- Managed the innovation process and implemented a stage-gate process which accelerated the rate and number of successful new product launches leading to $10 million in annual new sales within 3 years.
- Implemented a global strategic account management process resulting in expanded relationships, $10 million of increased business and proprietary development opportunities.
Group President Consumer Specialties and Vice President, The BFGoodrich Company (1998 to 1999) Group Vice President, Consumer Specialties (1998 to 1999)
Created global group encompassing 3 business units: Personal Care, Pharmaceutical, and Food Ingredients. Company Officer with full P&L responsibility for $250 million in a $1.2 billion segment. Led 6 manufacturing facilities located on 3 continents, plus a JV in Chongqing, China and 500 employees. In addition to the Group responsibilities, coordinated all BFGoodrich Performance Materials activities in Europe, Middle East and Africa.
- Delivered revenue growth more than 12% per year and earnings growth of 15% per year.
- Implemented change management productivity enhancement leading to 5% annual improvement in unit costs.
- Integrated 4 acquired companies reducing SG&A costs 10% and accelerating sales growth.
- Purchased South Korean manufacturing assets and established BFG Korea.
General Manager, Consumer Specialties Division (1995 to 1998)
Charged with accelerating the growth of a strategic global business unit serving the personal care, pharmaceutical, and household products industries. Full P&L responsibilities for $100 million unit of a $1 billion segment.
- Delivered revenue growth more than 15% per year and income growth more than 20% per year thru global geographic expansion, new distribution channels, and revised product strategies.
- Delivered 30% annual growth in Asia by developing and implementing a growth strategy.
- Led the project to build a new manufacturing plant in Antwerp, Belgium.
- Opened technical service laboratories in Antwerp, Belgium and Hong Kong.
General Manager, Reactive Liquid Polymer Division (1992 to 1995)
Chosen to turnaround an unprofitable $12 million GBU providing specialty additives to the thermoset resin industries. Primary markets served included structural adhesives for automotive and aerospace use, high performance coatings, electronics, and rocket propellant systems.
- Turned business around from $4 million loss to $2.5 million earnings.
- Developed and implemented a global growth strategy targeting high value-added markets.
- Restructured the organization to align with growth strategy and reduce costs.
- Rationalized underperforming product range.
Business Manager, Hydrophilic Europe (1988 to 1992)
Selected for ex-patriot position in Brussels, Belgium responsible for marketing and sales of a broad range of water soluble polymers in the coatings, graphic arts, personal care, and pharmaceutical industries.
- Led organization restructuring from a geographic country structure to the creation of BFG’s first pan European business unit.
- Delivered more than 15% revenue growth and increased market share through large account management, new market development and new application development.
- Established distributor network throughout Eastern Europe.
Senior Marketing Manager, New Market Development (1985 to 1988)
Marketing Manager, Water Treatment / Detergents (1981 to 1985)
Sales Representative, Middle East / Africa (1980 to 1981)
New Market Development Representative, International (1977 to 1980)
MBA, Miami University, Oxford, OH, 1977
B.A., Chemistry & Zoology, Miami University, Oxford, OH, 1976
Board of Directors, Hudson Community Foundation, 2007 to Present
Board of Directors, Cosmetic Toiletry and Fragrance Association (CTFA), 2004 to 2005
Member, CTFA, 1995 to 2005
Board of Governors, Synthetic Organic Chemical Manufacturers Association (SOCMA), 2003 to 2005
Executive Advisory Board of the Cleveland World Trade Center, 1998 to 2002
Chair, City of Hudson Annual 4th of July Fireworks, 2008 to Present