How do I sharpen my employee negotiation skills?
By Patrick Ropella Posted 02/13/2015
A negotiation is a series of give-and-take agreements that benefit both parties. It must remain win-win to be an energizing experience and create the best deal for all involved. These tips will help you get prepared, anticipate demands, and act firmly:
- Put all compensation options on the table to maximize the pie. Include salary, incentives, benefits, prerequisites, and opportunities for career advancement.
- Keep your ears and mind open. Listen and recognize what the candidate values.
- Think outside of the paycheck. Be prepared to offer incentives such as flextime, childcare, or telecommuting.
- Speak First. A positive opening statement from you builds trust and goodwill with the potential new hire.
- Sit on it. Avoid being perceived as a pushover by working a concession into the deal at a later point, not the moment that you recognize you can compromise.